- Cupcakes :
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups grated carrots (less than 1 pound)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- For the frosting:
- 8 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon (orange or lime) peel
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the sugar, oil, and vanilla together in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Add the grated carrots, raisins, and walnuts to the remaining flour, mix well, and add to the batter. Mix until just combined.
- Line muffin pans with paper liners. Scoop the batter into 22 muffin cups until each is 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and cook for a further 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a rack.
- For the frosting, Beat heavy cream until soft peaks form. Beat cream cheese with sugar and citrus zest. Add cream cheese to heavy cream and beat for few seconds just until combined.
- When the cupcakes are cool, frost them generously and serve.