Chai Spiced Cake with Honey Ginger Cream
- Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
- Servings: (1) 3 layer 8-inch cake
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 6 chai tea bags
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups cake flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- Honey Ginger Cream
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter at room temp
- 1/2 cup honey (liquid)
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottoms and sides of three 8-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with rounds of parchment or waxed paper and butter the paper.
- In a small saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add the tea bags, being careful not to let the paper tags dip into them ilk. Remove from the heat and allow the tea to steep for about 5 minutes. Remove the teabags carefully squeezing the milk from them back into the pan. Let the chai milk cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and 1/3 cup of the chai milk. Whisk to blend.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt in a large mixer bowl. Beat on low speed for about 30 seconds the dry ingredients. Add the butter and the remaining chai milk and, with the mixer on medium low, beat to blend well. Raise the spread to medium and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg mixture in 3 additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl and mixing only to incorporate after each addition. Divide the batter evenly among the 3 prepared pans.
- For the Honey Ginger Cream
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse to incorporate, then scrape down the bowl and process until smooth and well blended. Transfer to a bowl and chill for an hour before using to fill and cover the cake layers, allowing any excess to drizzle down the sides.
- Decorate as desired.