Cheese, Olive & Ham Bread
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup whole milk
- 6½ tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (1.5 ounces) small-diced ham
- 6 ounces Comté, Gruyère, Swiss or cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (about 1½ cups)
- 2/3 cup pitted black olives, each olive sliced horizontally into ¼-inch rings
- 1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Oil or butter an 8½-x-4½-inch loaf pan.
- 2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- 3. In another bowl or in a large measuring cup, lightly beat the eggs, then whisk in the milk, olive oil, and ham. Pour the liquid ingredients over the flour mixture and stir gently to blend. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the cheese and olives. Scrape the batter into the pan.
- 4. Bake the loaf for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue to bake the loaf for another 35 minutes or so, until it’s puffed and golden, and a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and let it rest for 5 minutes, then turn it out. Turn the loaf right side up and let cool completely on the rack.