Cheesy Smoked Sausage & Pasta Skillet
- Servings: 4
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) package Smoked Sausage or Kielbasa, sliced into coins
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic (about two fresh cloves)
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounce dry bowtie pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
- Add olive oil to a 4-5 quart saute pan over medium high heat. Add onions and sausage and cook until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, milk, pasta, and seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover for about five minutes to allow cheese to melt. Top with sliced scallions and serve.
I love all the ingredients in this recipe and it's a change from chicken and beef! I don't want to sound negative because we really liked this dish but there was something about diced tomatoes and smoked sausage together in a dish for me! I don't know what it was! Maybe that I bought Sweet Onion Diced or maybe because I used a 14 ounce can because I couldn't find a 10 ounce can except for Rotel and the recipe didn't call for Rotel or maybe because I bought Kielbasa and not smoked sausage but we love Kielbasa and I thought it would work perfect with the other ingredients! Whatever it was, I thought it was a very different taste to me! My family didn't think so but I did! I really want to make this again and skip the tomatoes all together and see what happens! Anyway, with that in mind, this was a good dish! The chopped scallions are perfect as a topping and I suggest not skipping them!