Cherry Limeade Cupcakes With Cherry Almond Buttercream Frosting
- Servings: 20
- For the cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1-1/4 cups Sprite or lemon-lime soda of your choice
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 box (3 ounces) cherry jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- For the frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoons milk
- 20 maraschino cherries for garnish
- 20 lime pieces for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- In large bowl, mix cake mix, Sprite, lime juice, oil and egg whites with beater on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners, filling just a little less than 2/3 full.
- Bake 15-19 minutes. Mine were done in 15 minutes but the directions on the cake mix box said 15-19 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes and poke holes all over the cupcakes with a fork or you can use a wooden skewer like I did.
- In a pot, boil 1 cup of water adding the jello after water has boiled and turn off heat. Stir for 2 minutes to completely dissolve jello.
- Spoon cherry mixture slowly over cupcakes, allowing mixture to fill in holes.
- Cool completely, 1 hour or longer.
- For Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in maraschino cherry juice, milk and almond extract. Gradually beat in additional powdered sugar.
- Mine did not need this but if necessary, beat in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until frosting reaches spreading consistency. You want the frosting to be thick and not creamy.
- Using a piping bag (or baggie) and tip of your choice, pipe frosting onto cupcakes and garnish with a cherry and lime piece if desired.
I couldn't wait to make these cupcakes since I love Sonic Cherry Limeade! Alot of reviews on Pinterest said if you love Sonic Cherry Limeade you will love the cake and it is better than the drink! I made cupcakes and not cake and these were very good and I did like them but there is nothing better than the drink at Sonic in my opinion! This was my 1st time ever making buttercream icing and it was delicious! The cherry taste in this frosting took the cupcake to the top! I had an experience making the frosting! It was a little to creamy and not thick enough for piping so I put it the fridge for an hour and then added a little more powdered sugar and mixed it in by hand and not the beaters! It was thick enough to pipe at that point but I really would of liked it thicker! I'll have to play with it more the next time I make it! I've always said I'm not a baker and my bad luck continues with baking!