- Cooking Time: 25min
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: you have to pit cherries
- 1 1/2lbs Bing Cherries, pitted & halved
- 3/4c+/- Sugar
- Dash of Salt
- 1/4+/- Balsamic
- 2-3tsp Cornstarch (or Arrowroot)
- 2- 9" Pie Crusts
- Sugar for topping
- * Add cherries, sugar, salt and vinegar to large saucepan; add enough water to just cover.
- * Cook over high to boiling.
- * While bringing filling to boil, preheat oven to 425deg F and prepare crusts in 9" deep dish pie plate; prick bottom crust w/fork a few times to prevent bubbling; set aside.
- * Once filling has come to boil, TASTE TEST and adjust sugar/vinegar ratio as needed; the +/- is there because some cherries are sweeter/more tart than others. I always fiddle with my measurements, but that's me.
- * Dissolve cornstarch in a few tablespoons or about 1/8c of COLD water; immediately add to boiling fruit and stir well until milky color fades out.
- * Lower heat and cook uncovered 10min or so til thickened to corn-syrupy consistency.
- * Pour into bottom crust; cover w/top crust and seal edges by pressing down with a fork (my preferred method). Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- * Bake 20-25min till browned; you may need to turn, or foil around edge to prevent overbrowning of crust edge, 10-15min or so into baking time.
- * Allow to cool before slicing!