Chicken & Biscuit Bake
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1½ cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup (half of a stick) butter, melted
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1½ cups frozen mixed veggies (allow to thaw for about 30 minutes before adding to recipe)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (use 2 ONLY if using unsalted butter, low-sodium broth/stock and/or low-sodium cream of chicken soup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Warm chicken stock in a small sauce pan and add in the bouillon cube to dissolve. Keep warm until ready to use.
- Lightly coat with non-stick spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish or large round casserole dish. Pour in the melted butter.
- Layer the shredded chicken on top of the butter.
- Sprinkle on the veggies.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the milk and Bisquick. (It's okay if there are a few lumps remaining.)
- Pour over the chicken and vegetables. DO NOT MIX
- Sprinkle on a little black pepper, if desired.
- Combine the cream of chicken soup with the warmed stock in a small mixing bowl.
- Once blended, slowly pour over the Bisquick layer. Again, DO NOT MIX (Yes, It looks like a big, soupy mess. Trust me ... this is what it's supposed to look like!)
- If using a 9 x 13 pan, bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until casserole is set and top is brown and bubbly. If using a large, round dish, bake for 50 - 55 minutes or until casserole is set and top is brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
I had a big flop on my hands the first time I made this! Dummy me didn't check the date on my Bisquick and it turned out like a cobbler! The Bisquick was out dated and didn't rise and we were totally disappointed! Well that didn't stop me! I bought a new box of Bisquick on my next grocery trip and 1 week later I was trying it again! Turned out beautiful! I say this is a delicious chicken pot pie and if I had been naming this recipe, that would be the name! Definitely comfort food! A nice golden biscuit crust with creamy veggies and chicken hiding inside with a tasty chicken flavor throughout! My house smelled wonderful! My hubby and kids (me too) fell in love with this dish! I've got to put this on the menu again soon to make everyone happy! Happy food!