Chicken & Rice Soup
- Servings: 4
- Leftover chicken carcass from previous night
- Cold water
- 2 cloves garlic, or 2 tsp. roasted chopped garlic
- 3 Tbsp. fresh chopped chives
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 Cups of chicken stock with chicken pieces
- 1 Can of chicken broth
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary leaves
- 3 T fresh chopped chives
- Remaining rice from the night before
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 bag of frozen veggies of your choice
- 1 C baby carrots - chopped into small pieces (chopped into halves or thirds)
- 1 chopped onion (I didn't have one, so you can leave it out and it will still be delicious.)
- 1 T of olive oil, or chicken fat to sautee baby carrots
- Prepare the chicken stock: Without removing herbed skin, place the carcass in a crock pot. Cover with cold water and add 2 cloves of garlic (or 2 tsp of roasted chopped garlic), 3 T. of fresh chopped chives, 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary. Place on high for 4 hours. I did this while we ate our dinner, and shut it off before bed. I placed the internal bowl of the crock pot/slow cooker into the fridge overnight.
- Remove remaining bones, gristle, and skin from carcass. Separate the chicken and keep it. Set aside 4 cups of the chicken stock. Place 1/2 of the remaining chicken in the 4 cups of stock. Place the rest of the chicken in the remaining stock. Freeze the remaining stock and chicken for future soup.
- You may also use an onion. I didn't have one.
- Place the stock with chicken pieces, 1 can of chicken broth, rosemary leaves, chives, rice, cayenne, salt and pepper into slow cooker on high for an hour, or in a pot simmering for 30 mins.
- While you do this, quickly saute baby carrots in olive oil, or chicken fat, until tender-crisp.
- Add bag of frozen veggies, carrots and chopped onion to pot. Cook until veggies are cooked through. Serve