Chicken And Hummus Skillet
- 4 chicken breast tenderloins
- 1/2 med head of cauliflower, broken into bite sized pieces
- 2 med carrots sliced into rounds
- 2 tiny or 1 small zucchini sliced into rounds
- 1/2 small sweet onion sliced into thin slices
- 1/2C canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 C baby spinach leaves
- olive oil cooking spray
- garlic salt
- onion powder
- crushed red pepper flakes
- chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3C prepared hummus (Athenos roasted garlic is yummy!)
- 1/4 bell pepper (any color will work) chopped
- If the chicken is frozen make sure and thaw it completely, then add garlic salt, onion powder and fresh ground black pepper if desired, toss to coat and set aside while you prepare vegetables.
- I began by steaming the cauliflower and carrots because I was not in the mood for them to be crisp. Once veggies are chopped steam for 5-6min.
- Meanwhile coat a large skillet with non-stick spray and begin cooking onions and peppers over medium high heat till lightly browned, adding chicken broth as needed to prevent scorching. When the steaming is done add those veggies to the mix adding garlic and onion powder to taste.
- In a separate pan, coat with olive oil spray and cook chicken until no longer pink inside, also adding broth if needed.
- Once the chicken is done I set it on a plate to cool and then added the sliced zucchini to pan and it got a nice flavor from the browned bits of chicken, just as it was almost done i added a bit of broth and scraped the pan to get that chicken flavor. Add the zucchini and broth to the pan with onions and cauliflower mix.
- Now add the chick peas and spinach, while the spinach is cooking down chop the chicken into bite size pieces and put it into the skillet. Once everything is cooked to your liking add in the hummus and more chicken broth if needed to make a sauce. Cook a few more minutes to thicken the sauce, taste it at this point to see if you need more salt or want to add the pepper flakes. Then let it cool a few minutes before serving.