Chicken Divan and Egg Noodle Bake
- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 12 button mushrooms, wiped clean and chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp oregano
- ½ diced red onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 1 pound extra wide egg noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound garlic herb chicken tenders, diced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine, eyeball it or chicken stock
- 3/4 pound Gruyere or Swiss Emmentale cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons chives, 12 to 15 blades, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Preheat a broiler.
- Make the mushroom sauce. Heat a medium-size saucepot over medium heat. Add EVOO. When heated, add onions, then garlic, then mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, until just tender. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock, bring up to a bubble then stir in the milk. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer. Season sauce.
- When the water is boiling, add the broccoli florets. Cook for 5 minutes, then sift out and reserve (don’t drain the water). Drop the egg noodles into the same boiling water and cook to al dente according to package directions. Drain the noodles and return them to the hot pot. Add the creamy sauce to the pot and toss the noodles to coat.
- Cook chicken in olive oil, when chicken is almost cooked all the way add wine.
- To assemble, lightly grease a casserole dish. Transfer the cream-of-mushroom noodles to the dish and top with the chicken, then the cooked broccoli and finally the shredded cheese. Place under the broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly, and golden brown at the edges. Garnish with chives and serve with a green salad alongside.