- Cooking Time: 8
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 35
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 chicken cutlets or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups jarred tomato sauce or Easy Chunky Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh, cut into eight 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1. Heat broiler. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a shallow bowl.
- Season both sides of chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Dip chicken in the beaten egg, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- 2. Spread tomato sauce onto the bottom of a 10-by-15-inch baking dish.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place 4 chicken cutlets in skillet; cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Using a spatula, transfer browned cutlets to baking dish, placing them on top of sauce. Repeat with remaining oil and cutlets.
- 3. Top each cutlet with a slice of mozzarella. Broil about 4 inches from heat source until sauce is hot and cheese is melted and lightly browned in spots, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: Dredging the Chicken:
- Use shallow bowls for the egg and the coating mixture.
- After dipping the chicken in egg, let the excess egg drip off before coating the cutlet in the breadcrumb mixture.
Another recipe courtesy of Everday Food, and a favorite of Chris. Although this dish is traditionally served with a side of pasta, a crisp salad dressed with oil, vinegar, and herbs is also a nice accompaniment. This chicken also makes wonderful leftovers. Reheat it for 10 minutes; try it in a sandwich with a little extra sauce on the side.