Chinese Chicken Salad from Cheesecake Factory
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups chicken chunks; stir fried, baked; roasted, or broiled
- Crispy fried wonton strips; See directions
- Fruits such as pineapple, raisins, mandarin orange slices, pear, etc.
- Crispy Wonton Strips (recipe follows)
- CRISPY WONTON STRIPS:
- People can't get enough of fried wontons. Canned crispy noodles are a barely acceptable artifice. Real fried wontons are 1/4 inch thick and 2 inches long, a fine fried mouthful. Put extras in a bowl on the table.
- 10 wonton skins.
- Vegetable oil
- Cut the stack of wontons skins into strips 1/4 inch wide. Pour 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil into a wok or medium-sized pot. Turn the heat to medium-high and heat the oil until it's very hot (375 degrees on a candy thermometer). Have ready a cookie sheet lined with paper towels, for draining the strips.
- Add the wonton strips to the oil in batches. Leave room for them to bob around. The strips will curl. After a minute or less, they'll be golden. As they become done, take them out of the oil with a slotted spoon or tongs, and drain in batches on paper towels. You might have to turn down the heat to medium if the oil is frying the wontons too fast.