- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk (105-115 F)
- teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 1/2-5 cups all-purpose flour
- for the filling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- to garnish
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Whisk together the milk, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar in a large glass bowl and let stand ten minutes or until foamy. With a wooden spoon, beat in butter, salt, eggs, sugar, vanilla and 2 cups flour. When the mixture is smooth add as much of the remaining flour as is needed to make a soft dough.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand 90 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Mix the filling ingredients together until smooth.
- Turn out half the dough onto a lightly floured board and roll out to a rectangle 8 x 12 inches. Smear half of the filling across the dough and roll up tightly, pinching the seam to seal.
- Place onto a nonstick jelly roll pan and repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Twist the two dough strands around one another and tuck the ends under.
- Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with sliced almonds and bake 40 minutes or until well browned.