Chocolate Cake with Fudge Frosting
- Servings: 12
- 3 Cups flour
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1/2 Cup cocoa (I use the dark cocoa)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening (I use Crisco butter flavored)
- 1/3 cup cocoa (again, I used the dark cocoa)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup good quality hot fudge (Mrs. Richardson's)
- 1 tsp. vanilla (I added some Kahlua, too, because that's just how I am)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt. Put in a mixing bowl; make a well in the center of dry ingredients. Add oil, water and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute, just until blended. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Cream butter and shortening.
- Sift the cocoa and the powdered sugar. Add to the butter mixture along with the milk. Continue to beat until fluffy. Add the hot fudge and vanilla and blend until creamy. Spread on cooled cake.