Chocolate Cherry Coconut Cookies
- Cooking Time: 12 to 15
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 60 to 90
- 1/2 sitck of unsalted butter
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 3/4 c light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c of Carol's Sorghum Blend*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 c gluten free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cherries
- 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Carol's Sorghum Blend*
- 1 1/2 c sorghum flour
- 1 1/2 c potato starch or corn starch
- 1 c tapioca flour
- Place a rack in the lower-middle portion and another in the upper middle portion of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two 15 x 10 in baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer on low speed until very smooth, about 1 min. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sorghum blend, cocoa, xantham gum, salt, and baking soda and gradually beat into the egg mixture on low speed just until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips,, cherries, and coconut. Knead the dough with your hands a few times to make sure the chips, cherries, and coconut are thoroughly incorporated.
- Using a wet tablespoon or a #50 metal spring ice cream scoop, drop 1 1/2 in balls of dough at least 2 in apart on the baking sheets, 12 per sheet. Use the bottom of a drinking glass to flatten the cookies slightly. Place one sheet on the lower middle rack and another on the upper middle rack of the oven.
- Bake 12 to 15 min, rotating the baking sheets between racks halfway through baking or until the cookies are firm. Cool the cookies 2 to 3 min on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Store, tightly covered, for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
This recipe comes from the cookbook, 1000 Gluten Free Recipes, by Carol Fenster. My grandmother on my mom's side of the family was recently put on a gluten free diet. I bought her this book for Christmas. I decided to bake a batch of cookies from a recipe out of the book, and giving her not only the book, but some cookies as well.