Chocolate Chip Apple Cake
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar plus 3 tablespoons reserved for topping
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 2 to 3 apples, peeled, cored, chopped to measure 3 cups
- 1-1/2 cups toasted, chopped walnuts, ½ cup reserved for topping
- 4 ounces (2/3 cup) SCHARFFEN BERGER 62% Cacao Semisweet Chocolate, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon reserved for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- Cream butter and sugars in an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Add eggs, one at a time. Add in the lemon juice. Beat in the milk.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter and egg mixture until just combined.
- Peel, core and coarsely chop the apples.
- To toast the walnuts, put on a tray in the oven or toaster oven at 300 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. Check to make sure they don’t burn. You’ll smell them when they begin toasting.
- Chop the walnuts and reserve ½ cup for the topping.
- Add the apples, walnuts and coarsely chopped chocolate to the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Mix together the remaining ½ cup chopped walnuts, 3 tablespoons sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the cake is firm, a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when inserted and the cake just begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool on a rack.
This moist cake is a great winter cake, but is delicious year round. The combination of apples, cinnamon, walnuts, and, of course, chocolate, is sure to satisfy everyone’s tastes. Great for Sunday brunch, a weeknight dessert, or afternoon tea. It is wonderful just out of the oven and stays moist for several days, if you can keep it around that long! Serves 8 to 12.