Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cooking Time: 8 to 10 minutes
- Servings: Makes about 45 cookies
- Preparation Time: about 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 oz.) bag (2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips or miniature candy-coated semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening and butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds; add brown sugar, granulated sugar and baking soda; beat until mixture is combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined; beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour.
- Stir in chocolate pieces and nuts (if using).
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.