Chocolate Covered Chewy Peanut Butter Bars
- 1 cup white karo syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups crunchy peanut butter
- 7 cups Special K cereal
- Chocolate Topping:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Bring karo syrup and sugar just to a boil in large microwave safe bowl (about 2 minutes on high) The longer it boils the "harder" the candy gets, so if you want it "chewy" just barely boil.
- Add in 2 cups crunchy peanut butter and mix completely with strong (preferably wooden) mixing spoon.
- Put 7 cups Special K cereal in a ziplock bag, seal, and crush to size of rice grains.
- Add Special K to sugar / karo / and peanut butter and mix well with strong mixing spoon.
- Press into 10 1/2" x 15 1/2" baking pan with edges. Spread evenly over the sheet. The mixture will be thick rough and should be "smoothed" and compressed into the pan by using the back side of a large METAL spoon (moistened fequently with water to avoid sticking) in back and forth and diagonal motions across the surface until it is even.
- Gently (barely) melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave for ~ 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on 50% power. (check every 30 seconds by stirring with a spoon) When done, the chips will still retain their shape until stirred with a spoon, but should easily blend together as a smooth mixture.
- Pour and spread over top of Peanut Butter Bars with back of the metal spoon. Store in refrigerator. Cut and serve.
- Caution: Addictive