Chocolate Covered Surprise Cookies
- Servings: 42
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup land o lakes butter, softened*
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained, reserve juice, halved
- 1 cup real semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons reserved cherry juice
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Combine sugar and butter in large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla; continue beating until well mixed.
- Add all remaining cookie ingredients except cherries.
- Reduce speed to low; beat until well mixed.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Press cherry half into center of each cookie, making sure cherry halves are dry.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine all frosting ingredients in 1-quart saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chips are melted and frosting is smooth (4 to 5 minutes).
- Frost each cooled cookie with (+/-)1/2 teaspoon frosting.
- Make sure cherry is COVERED.
- *Substitute LAND O LAKES® Soft Baking Butter with Canola Oil right from the refrigerator.
These I found on the inside of a Land-O-Lakes butter package. They are the best chocolate cookies I have ever made or tasted! Not a big cookie, maybe a bite or two, but they pack a great taste. I made them for my co-workers once, and the boss, who doesn't usually eat what we bring in, was convinced by one of his associates to try them. You can guess what happened. Yup, he came back for more, more, more! Finally, he asked for the recipe for his wife. I should have held out for a raise!