Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, crushed, for garnish (optional)
- In a saucepan combine the milk, cream, and 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat.
- Cook until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar using an electric mixer until the eggs have become thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture and stir.
- Add this mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Place a strainer over a medium bowl and pour the warm custard mixture through the strainer.
- Stir in the vanilla and hazelnut spread until it dissolves.
- Chill mixture completely before pouring into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions to freeze.
- To serve, scoop gelato into serving bowls and top with hazelnuts