Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Candied Pistachios
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks/chips
- Candied Pistachios & Chocolate Topping
- 2/3 cup roasted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips/chunks
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (this just helps the chocolate firm up)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and the sugar. Once smooth, whisk in the egg, sour cream/yogurt, milk and vanilla extract. Stir the mixture until it is a smooth batter. Gradually add in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips. Spread the batter into the greased pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- Candied Pistachios & Chocolate Topping: Spread the pistachios out on a baking sheet layered with parchment paper. Mix together the hot water and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved, then toss the pistachios with the sugar liquid.
- Roast the nuts at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan and let the pistachios cool completely before breaking them apart and chopping them.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a doubler boiler or in the microwave. Once they are melted, stir in the coconut oil until it's melted.
- Remove the cake from the pan once it has cooled slightly and pour the chocolate over top of cake. Cover the chocolate with the chopped pistachios. Slice and serve!