Chocolate-Zucchini Cake with Fudge Frosting
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs (or egg replacers)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- FUDGE FROSTING:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 cup milk (regular, lactose free, almond or soy)
- 1/2 cup butter/margarine
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2- 3 cups powdered sugar
- FOR THE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the nuts and zucchini until they are evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.
- RECIPE FROM ALL RECIPIES
- FUDGE FROSTING:
- In medium sauce pan, mix sugar and cocoa. Stir in milk, butter/margarine, corn syrup and salt. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Boil 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool for 45 minutes
- Beat in vanilla and enough powdered sugar for spreading consistency. *Leftover frosting can be tightly covered and refrigerated up to 5 days or frozen up to one month.
- RECIPE FROM BETTY CROCKER COOKBOOK
Featuring: zucchini (and/or pattypan squash) One of our other AMAZING CSA box drop-off host, Cynthia, kindly gave us a this cake and graciously shared with us the recipes she used (the cake is from All recipes and the fudge from her Betty Crocker cookbook). Here is it. WARNING: It is really good!