Chocolate and beetroot brownies recipe
- 250g/10oz good, dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 250g/10oz unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus more for greasing
- 250g/10oz caster sugar
- 3 free-range eggs
- 150g self-raising flour (we used wholemeal self-raising)
- 250g beetroot, boiled until tender, peeled and grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a baking tin of approximately 20 x 30 x 3cm and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Break up the chocolate into pieces, cut the butter into cubes then mix them up a bit in a heatproof bowl. As the oven begins to warm up, put the bowl onto one of the shelves for a few minutes until the chocolate and butter starts to melt. Stir, and put back into the oven for a few more minutes to melt completely.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl until combined, then beat in the melted chocolate and butter until smooth. Gently fold in the flour then the beetroot – be careful not to overmix or it will make the brownies tough.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over the top with a spatula. Bake for about 20 minutes. A knife or skewer pushed into the middle should come out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Don't be tempted to overcook them! Remove the tin from the oven and leave on wire rack to cool before cutting into squares.