Christina's Greek Apricot-almond Pastry
- 1 lb butter
- 1 egg
- 1 T almond extract
- 1 1/2 T vanilla
- 5 c flour
- 1 c sugar
- 2 cup apricot preserves/jam
- 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Combine butter, egg, extracts, flour & sugar. Spread 2/3 of dough in a 15x10" pan.
- 3. Spread dough with apricot jam.
- 4. Roll out remaining dough on a foured board. Cut into 1/2" strips. Lay strips atop pasta flora in a lattice pattern (all verticals, then all horizontals).
- 5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min (until golden).
- 6. Cool & cut into 1 1/2 " squares.
A woman I met at a picnic brought this wonderful dessert. This is the recipe she gave me. She said you can use any jam/preserves but that she thought apricot tasted best with the almond flavor of the crust. I agree. It's lighter than you'd expect by reading the recipe, a nice balance of buttery and sweet.