Christmas Cherry Fudge
- 1 (3 oz.) cherry flavor gelatin
- 3 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup chopped candied cherries
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Combine gelatin, sugar, baking soda, and milk in a 3 quart heavy saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Continue cooking - without stirring - to the soft ball stage (236 F).
- Remove from heat. Add the butter. Pour into a large buttered platter.
- Cool - without stirring - until mixture is lukewarm.
- Then beat until mixture loses its gloss.
- Quickly stir in the cherries and the walnuts. Turn at once into a buttered 8 inch square baking dish.
- Allow to cool.
- When firm, cut into 2 x 1 inch (about)rectangles.