Cinnamon Spiced Venison Casserole
- Servings: 4
- 3 cups diced venison
- 2 Tablespoons seasoned plain flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, halved if large
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 Tablespoons redcurrant jelly
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Put the venison in a bag with the seasoned flour and seal the top.
- Shake well to coat the meat in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof casserole and add the contents of the bag.
- Fry over a high heat until the meat is browned all over.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the shallots, mushrooms and garlic and fry for a few minutes, until browned.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the spices.
- Cook for a minute or two, then pour in the stock.
- Stir well, then cover the casserole and transfer to the oven.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Stir in the red currant jelly and return to the oven without the lid for 1/2 hour.
- Remove from the oven, stir in the coriander and serve with garlicky mashed potatoes.