Citrus Almond Shortbread
- Cooking Time: 12
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons orange peel, grated
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Colored sugar for decorating
- Cooking Directions:
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, almonds, poppy seeds and salt; set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar and honey in a bowl; beat until light and fluffy. Add grated orange peel and egg yolks; beat until smooth. Add in flour mixture, 1 cup at a time; blend until incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half and transfer each half to a sheet of wax paper. Using the wax paper, shape dough into two 12-inch rectangular logs. Chill logs at least two hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- With a sharp knife, cut logs into 1/8-inch-thick slices and arrange 1/2-inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake until lightly browned around edges, about 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool.
- To make icing, whisk ingredients until smooth and transfer to a sealable plastic bag. Cut a small hole in a bottom corner of the bag. Pipe icing on edges of cookie and dip in colored sugar.
- Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to one week.
- You must SAVE this recipe