Classic Dinner Rolls
- 2 - 2/14 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 envelope yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 2 TB sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 TB butter
- Combine 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter until warm (120 - 130' F). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add 1/4 flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 - 10 minutes. Cover, let rest 10 minutes.
- At this point, you can place the dough in a lightly covered bowl (wiped down with a little oil) and put in the fridge until you're ready to continue...whether it's later that day or the next day.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and shape into balls. Place in greased 8" round pan (I used a cast iron skillet). Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes (if you stored the dough in the fridge, it'll take a little longer for the dough to rise).
- Bake in a preheated 375' oven for 20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and if desired, brush with melted butter.