- Cooking Time: about 30 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried fresh rosemary
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 head green cabbage (1/2 pound), cored and thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan, for serving
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, carrots, celery, red-pepper flakes, rosemary, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to turn golden, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes; cook until some of the liquid evaporates, 1 minute. Add potato, cabbage, cannellini beans, and 7 cups water; bring to a boil. Stir in green beans.
- Reduce to a simmer, and cook until all the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; stir in garlic, if using, and basil. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.