Classic Swiss Steak
- Cooking Time: 30-40
- Servings: 3-6
- Preparation Time: 5-10
- 2-4 Cubed Steak patties
- Vegetable Oil and Butter
- 1-1 1/2c all-purp Flour
- 1tsp Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 Egg
- Milk (have 1-2c available)
- 1c Tomato Sauce
- 1sm can Mushrooms
- 1/2c diced canned Tomatoes
- 1-2tblsp Worchestershire
- 1tsp crushed Garlic
- 1 can beef Consommé
- Mashed Potatoes (I make mine w/lots of butter and sour cream) to serve
- Heat 1/4" or so of oil and butter (1-2tblsp's approx) in heavy or cast iron skillet over med heat.
- Blend flour and seasoned salt.
- Beat egg w/couple splashes of milk.
- Dredge steaks first thru flour, then thru egg/milk, then thru flour again, pressing flour in 2nd dredging to coat well.
- When oil is hot, fry steaks 3-5min each side, til well-browned; BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN- reduce heat if necessary.
- Once steaks have stopped bleeding profusely and have nice breading on them, remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low and add remaining flour to skillet and brown 3-4 min.
- Add splashes of milk to make thick paste/gravy starter.
- Add tomato sauce, mushroom, tomatoes and Worchestershire, blending well with a whisk if need be to prevent lumps.
- Once gravy is again thick, add consommé slowly, whisking constantly.
- Once gravy is well-blended and free of lumps, return steaks to pan.
- Reduce heat to very low and simmer while you cook your potatoes and mash them up.
- Serve over a mound of mashed taters, and watch them lick the plate clean and come back for more!
HI! It's been a while, I know- just getting used to the new site! I tried adding some other recipes recently, and things just didn't work out, but here goes AGAIN! Still married- and here's one of the reasons why- I am an EXCELLENT cook... that's how I hook 'em, and that's how I keep 'em. All else is always forgiven. Enjoy!