Coconut-Almond Muffins with Chocolate Chips
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup whole, unsalted almonds
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (6 oz) container coconut yogurt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- For the topping, place the almonds and the coconut in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the almonds are roughly chopped. Pour the mixture into a small bowl and stir in the chocolate chips; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line muffin pans with cupcake liners (there should be enough batter for 18).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar; set aside.
- Combine the yogurt, egg, and coconut milk in a microwave safe bowl or large measuring cup. Microwave on high for 20-25 seconds or until the mixture is at room temperature. Stir in the melted butter and the almond extract. Add the yogurt mixture, coconut, and chocolate chips to the flour mixture and gently stir with a wooden spoon or a spatula until just blended. Spoon the batter into the lined muffin cups. Sprinkle the topping evenly over each muffin. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched.