Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 3-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar (do not consider skipping the sifting of the powdered sugar or you will have unattractive white lumps in your icing)
- Remaining coconut (the rest of a 7-ounce package minus 1 1/3 cups)
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and almond extract until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well.
- Gradually beat in as much of the remaining sugar as needed to reach a comfortable spreading consistency.
- Spread each cooled cupcake with the cream cheese icing and then top with the remaining coconut. An easy way to do this is to turn each iced cupcake upside-down and press gently into the coconut to make it adhere.