Creamy Coconut Shrimp
- 1 pound medium shrimp, cleaned and tails removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of plain bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup coconut cream, not coconut milk, cream is found in the asian/mexican speciality aisle in a can, I bought Goya brand
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry the shrimp with paper towel and season with salt. Mix bread crumbs and corn starch together and toss shrimp in mixture. In a large skillet, melt oil and butter and fry shrimp over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Drain shrimp on paper towel and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, over low heat, combine the coconut cream, milk, and vanilla extract. Add condensed milk and stir. Let the mixture simmer for about 3 minutes until the liquid gets reduced by 1/3. Add the mayonnaise and stir until combined. Mayonnaise gives it a creamier texture.
- Transfer the cream mixture to the shrimp. Turn on the heat and stir the shrimp to incorporate the coconut cream. Turn off the heat when the coconut mixture reaches the boiling point. The longer you let it sit, the thicker the sauce becomes which is a good thing.
- Plate and serve the dish hot.
I hit the jackpot! Creamed Shrimp is my favorite dish at a Chinese restaurant we go to! For months I have been identifying the flavors in the dish! I identified vanilla, coconut and something sweet! To my surprise I ran across a blog, Welcome Home, and she made a dish, Shrimp In Creamy Coconut Sauce and her ingredients were exactly what I thought was in this dish that I loved! Yep, that sweet taste was sweetened condensed milk! I went straight to the store and got the stuff to make this! I had one thing go wrong and that was me thinking I had plain bread crumbs at home but I actually had panko bread crumbs and they are crunchy bread crumbs! No big deal, I love panko but they fell off the shrimp while breading them and in the skillet! I loved the shrimp anyway because I love shrimp with or without breading! I will know next time to use fine, plain bread crumbs! I'm just tickled pink that I found the recipe for the sauce! Amazing! Look out China Garden, you have great competition! ME!