- 1 pound orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, juices drained
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a heavy large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the orzo and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic, and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they are tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the cream and peas.
- Add the orzo and toss to coat.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the Parmesan to the pasta mixture and toss to coat.
- Stir the pasta mixture until the sauce coats the pasta thickly, adding enough reserved cooking liquid to maintain a creamy consistency.
- Season the orzo with salt and pepper, and serve.