Currywurst Sauce - Berlin, Germany
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 2/3 cup tomato ketchup
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, cook the onion until soft about 8 to 10 minutes. Add curry powder and paprika, cook for 1 minute more. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato ketchup. Add sugar, red wine vinegar and salt; stir well. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened about 25 minutes. Purée sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve hot over sausage. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Curry is huge in Berlin, but not because of Indian restaurants. When the residents of Berlin think curry they mean currywurst which are sliced pork sausages covered with a special sauce and more curry and is eaten with french fries or brötchen (rolls). Currywurst is the new fast food of Berlin.