Cybele Pascal’s Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Corn Free, Vegan Pita Breads
- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp warm water (110°F – 115°F)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 packet rapid-rise yeast*
- 3 ¼ cups Gluten-Free Bread Flour Mix (see Cybele's recipe here)
- 2 Tbsp plain coconut milk yogurt (So Delicious)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp xanthan gum (Authentic Foods xanthan gum is corn-free)
- 1 tsp Celtic sea salt
- Combine warm water with sugar and rapid-rise yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Be sure your water isn’t too hot, or it will kill the yeast. Use a thermometer to be sure it’s the right temp! Whisk well, to incorporate the yeast and dissolve the sugar. Let rest about 5 minutes, to “proof”.
- Measure out the flour mix by spooning it into a dry measuring cup, then leveling with a straightedge. Combine flour mix with xanthan gum and salt, whisking well.
- Add coconut milk yogurt and olive oil to yeast mixture. Blend on medium speed.
- Add flour mixture to mixing bowl, and blend on low until incorporated, then medium speed until dough is thoroughly combined, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. It will be quite sticky.
- Sprinkle a work surface amply with some gf bread flour mix. Use a rubber spatula to turn out dough onto work surface.
- Dust hands with a little flour mix, and sprinkle dough with a bit more. Mold into a ball.
- Cut into quarters, then cut quarters in half, for a total of 8 pieces. Sprinkle with a little flour mix, then roll into balls.
- Grease 2 baking trays well with olive oil. I use a pastry brush to be sure it’s evenly distributed. Transfer 4 balls to each tray. Use the palm of your hand to flatten the balls into 5 1/2 –inch rounds. Use fingers to shape edges as necessary.
- Adjust oven racks to two lowest positions in oven. Fill a baking pan with very hot water and place on bottom of oven. Cover trays with plastic wrap. Place in oven and let rise about 1 hour till pockets are starting to form. You will probably want to change your hot water once halfway through. Remove trays from oven. Set aside. Remove pan of hot water from oven.
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Bake pitas one tray at a time on lowest rack in oven, 10 minutes, till golden brown.
- Remove from oven, transfer from baking tray to cooling rack. They will be hard at first.
- Let rest about 10 minutes. The steam will finish the pocket making process, and they will soften up a bit.
- Cut pockets in half. Use a knife to separate pocket if necessary. Best when eaten fresh.
I got this recipe from Cybele Pascal, The Allergy-Friendly Cook. This was Recipe #14 in the 'Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid" event. These gluten free, nut free, soy free, corn free, vegan pita breads are a shining example of her ability to create something that rivals its wheat-inspired counterpart! These are SO good! They are light and fluffy and hit the spot for me when I stuffed them with avocado, raw vegan hummus, cucumbers, sweet peppers, sprouts and spinach leaves. YUMMO! Check out Cybele's original post for detailed photos and further information about this recipe. Learn more about Cybele at Cybele Pascal - The Allergy-Friendly Cook.