Dark Chocolate Mousse
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 extra large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
- Melt chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso powder, water and brandy in a medium heatproof bowl over simmering water. , stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Wisk egg yolks with 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar and salt. Wisk until the yolks are thick and slightly lighter in color (about 45 seconds)Mix the chocolate with the yolks and set aside to cool for 4 minutes
- In a clean bowl beat egg whites with 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar until thick and soft peaks form. Fold the whites to the chocolate mixture in 3 batches. Set aside. In the same bowl as you whipped the egg whites pour the cream and beat on low for 30 seconds. Turn the mixer up to high and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Wisk to soft peaks (about 45 seconds) Using a spatula fold the cream into the chocolate mixture in 3 batches until only a few white streaks remain. Spoon into individual dishes or glasses. Makes about 6, 1/2 cup servings (which is about all you want it is very rich). You can also just put it in a larger bowl and serve it family style.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Yummy!!!