Deep Fried Ice Cream
- 1 Pint Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 2 1/2 cup Crushed Cornflakes (Not the Tony Tiger)
- 1 egg
- 1 TB Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Coconut oil, for frying
- With an ice cream scoop, form 4 balls of ice cream.
- Place on a plastic wrap lined baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap.
- Freeze for at least 3 hours.
- In a bowl, combine the cornflake crumbs (with coconut if you are using) with Cinnamon and Cayenne; toss together.
- Spread the mixture in a shallow dish.
- Dip the ice cream balls in the crumb mixture and freeze for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, beat the egg, sugar and vanilla.
- Dip the coated ice cream balls into the egg, then roll in the crumb mixture, coating completely.
- Freeze for 1 more hour.
- Repeat – Dip, Roll but this time freeze overnight, wrapped in a couple layers of plastic wrap to prevent burn.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or fryer to 400 degrees F.
- One at a time, lower the balls into the oil and fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove from the oil and place on paper towel to drain for 30 seconds, and then move to a dessert bowl.
- Repeat with the remaining ice cream.
- If serving with bananas foster, once cooked these can be stored in the freezer wrapped tightly in several layers of plastic wrap for up to 30 min.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce and/or whipped cream.
- Drizzle with Caramel or Dulce De Leche sauce.
- Top with cooled stewed fruit.
- Serve with crushed or chunked pineapple.
- Serve in combination with Bananas Foster. – This is my favorite I have the ice cream ready in the freezer, then while the oil is heating, I make bananas foster, then I place the bananas in the dish, keep the sauce warm, and quickly deep fry 1 at a time directly from the freezer and serve with the warm caramel sauce.
This makes a great base for a couple of deserts. It is something that can be made ahead and kept frozen until ready for frying as well. I love to serve this in combination with Bananas Foster. When I do this I substitute 1 cup of the cornflakes with 1 cup of sweetened Coconut. This creates an interesting textural take on the “Coconut Banana Cream pie” flavor combination. I use Coconut oil for frying because it’s one of the few safe deep frying oils. All polyunsaturated oils (Canola, soy, corn, safflower and cottonseed) polymerize when subject to high temperatures.