Deep-fried Sesame Balls
- 200g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 65g sugar
- 65ml UHT milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp margarine/butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 150g lotus paste/red bean paste (available at bakery shops)
- Put sifted dried ingredients, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Pour in the milk and stir in the melted butter to mix into a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into portions of 30g each and wrap around a small ball of lotus/red bean paste filling.
- Shape into a neat round ball.
- Dip the ball lightly in water then dip into the sesame seeds to coat all over.
- Press the sesame seeds tightly around.
- Heat enough oil in a wok and slide in the sesame balls.
- Deep-fry the balls over a gentle low heat, stirring frequently until they turn lightly golden.
- Remove from heat and drain on absorbent paper towels.