Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
- Cooking Time: 45 Mins
- Servings: 45 (2-inch) Brownies
- Preparation Time: 15 Mins
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained well
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup granulated instant coffee
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups Honey
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line an 11- by 18-inch (rimmed) baking pan with Reynold's parchment paper and lightly oil with canola oil spray.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high.
- Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely.
- Place the beans, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt.
- Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the honey and beat well.
- Set aside.
- Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the coffee/chocolate mixture.
- Stir until blended well.
- Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup.
- Mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy.
- Drizzle over the brownie batter.
- Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set.
- Let cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares.
- Refrigerate several hours, or over night for best results.
I found this recipe from a natural foods blog (101Cookbooks.com), but tweaked it a bit to make it more manageable and to streamline the ingredients. People are always blown away when they find out about the secret ingredient in these brownies, and I get requests to make them again and again. If you like fudgy, rich brownies, then these healthier, coffee kissed brownies are for you!