Divine Divinity Fudge
- Servings: 24
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Put the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar, bring to a boil and cook until the temperature reaches 260 degrees F on a candy thermometer, or the hard-ball stage, when a bit of the mixture dropped into cold water holds its shape, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Pour in a thin steady stream into the beaten egg whites and beat with an electric mixer on high for about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the vanilla, and continue beating on high just until the candy starts to lose its gloss, 5 to 6 minutes.
- When the beaters are lifted, the mixture should fall in a ribbon that mounds on itself.
- If the mixture flattens out, beat again for 1 minute more.
- If the mixture is too thick to drop, beat in a few drops of hot water until the candy is a softer consistency.
- Add the pecans, stir to mix, and quickly drop the mixture by tablespoons onto the prepared sheet. Place the candies on a serving candy dish and pass.