Dulce De Choco-leche Cake
- For cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 12 oz dark chocolate chopped (divided, can use chips)
- For filling:
- 2 cans Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
- For frosting:
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
- For garnish:
- Chopped/shaved chocolate or chopped candy bars
- To make the filling: Remove label from one can and place upright in a pot of water on the stove. Gently boil the can for approx two hours making sure that the can is always covered with water (a dulce de leche bomb, while it sounds tasty, is not what you want going off in your kitchen). Remove from heat and allow to cool. Mix with the remaining can of condensed milk.
- To make the cake: Pre-heat oven to 350. Prepare two 9-inch round pans using whatever method you prefer: grease and flour, grease and sugar, baking spray with flour (I prefer the latter).
- Add dry ingredients to the stand mixer. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed for two minutes. Carefully add the boiling water and mix well (batter will be pretty thin). Pour batter into the pans and top each pan with half of the dark chocolate. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans or until the toothpick test registers done. Remove from the oven. Cool cakes 10 minutes in pan and then remove the cake from the pans and transfer to a wire rack for cooking.
- To make the frosting: Beat heavy cream on high until soft peaks form, add confectioner's sugar and beat for 1 minute more.
- To assemble the cake: Level both layers and spoon dulce de leche mixture over the cut tops of both cakes, spread evenly, allow to soak into the cake and repeat until all the mixture has been used completely. Spread the frosting on the top of the bottom layer and add the top layer. Frost the cake and coat with the garnish of your choice.