Dungeness Crab Bisque
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound crab meat, picked over
- 1/4 cup sherry
- In a heavy 2 or 3 quart saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. When the foam begins to subside, add the onions and celery stirring frequently.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, until they are soft but not brown.
- Add the flour, paprika, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Then stirring the mixture constantly with a wire whisk pour milk and cream in a slow thin stream and cook briskly until the mixture comes to a boil and is smooth.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes to get rid of any taste of raw flour.
- Stir in the crab meat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes longer to heat it through.
- Add 1 tablespoon sherry, taste and as as much of the remaining sherry as you like.
- Serve the bisque at once.