- 1 c. cold butter, (so substitutions) cut up
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 t. grated lemon peel
- Sugar (for decorating)
- With pastry blender or two knives (fun for kids) cut butter into flour in large bowl until mix resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sour cream and lemon peel until well blended. Place on wax paper and shape into 4 1/2 inch square. Wrap and fridge for at least 2 hours.
- 2. Divide dough into quarterss. Sprinkle 2 T sugar on work surface. Roll out a quarter on sugared surface turning frequently, into a 12 x 5 rectangle (keep remaining dough in fridge). On long edge, lightly mark center (do not cut through). From each short side, roll up, jelly-roll style, toward center, until edges meet, like a scroll. Wrap well in wax paper. Repeat with remaining dough, forming three more scrolls, using more sugar as needed. Wrap and freeze 20 mintues or refrigerate 2 to 3 hours.
- 3. Heat overn to 375. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil. Place 1/4 c. sugar on wax paper. Cut each scroll crosswise into 1/4 in slices, dip each side into sugar. Place 2 1/2 inches apaprt on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Turn cookies with spatula and bake 2 or 3 more minutes until both sides are golden. Immediately transfer to wire rack.
- Makes 80 cookies.