Eggless Lemon Curd
- 1/4 c. cold water
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 3 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- In a saucepan, whisk together water, sugar, cornstarch, and salt until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. When mixture thickens.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture into a non-metallic bowl and add lemon juice and zest, mixing well.
- Allow to cool and thicken at room temperature.
- Can be refrigerated, covered, for several days. Before serving, beat thoroughly to a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 78.8
- Total Fat: 0.0 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 0.8 mg
- Total Carbs: 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0.0 g
- Yield: About 1 cup, 2 tbsp per serving
The basic ingredients for this delicious spread are usually beaten egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and zest which are gently cooked together until thick and then allowed to cool, forming a soft, smooth mixture. The cornstarch forms the thickening action here, without the cholesterol and fat!