- Servings: 4
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 2 mozzarellas (125 g ones)
- 4 tomatoes (e.g. San Marzano)
- a bunch of fresh basil leaves
- 1 TBspoon pinenuts
- 1 clove of garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Turn your oven to 200°C.
- Wash, dry and cut the eggplants into 1 cm thick slices.
- Brush the slices with a little oil (just a tiny bit, don't soak them, eggplants really are oil drinkers) and grill them for a couple minutes on each side on medium heat, just until they get grilling marks. When they are ready place them directly on a large enough baking tin lined with baking paper.
- Cut the mozzarella and the tomatoes into small cubes, and leave the tomatoes in a colander for 10 minutes.
- Chop finely the basil leaves, the pinenuts and the garlic (I used a mezzaluna).
- Now assemble your little "pizzettas": put a little tomatoes and mozzarella cubes on each eggplant slice, add a little basil and pinenut pesto, drizzle with little EVOO and a bit of salt.
- Bake them in the hot oven for 7-8 minutes (I actually let them bake for 10 minutes) and you're good to go.