Emeril's Creme Brulee
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus 6 tablespoons
- Heat the heavy cream, milk, and vanilla bean in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof mixing bowl and beat until pale yellow in color and all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Temper about 1/2 a cup of the cream mixture into the egg mixture and whisk vigorously to incorporate well.
- Add the remainder of the cream mixture to the bowl and whisk vigorously to incorporate.
- Strain the brulee base through a fine mesh sieve and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the custard into 6 (5-ounce) oval ramekins or gratin dishes, and place the dishes in a sheet pan or roasting pan.
- Pour enough hot water into the pan to come up half way on the sides of the ramekins.
- Place the pan in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 30 minutes, turning the sheet pan around after 15 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- To test for doneness, jiggle the pan slightly to see if the custard is set, if so, remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature before placing them in the refrigerator for 2 hours to completely cool.
- Once the brulee has cooled, evenly spread 1 tablespoon of sugar over each ramekin and using a blowtorch, caramelize the sugar to form a candy coating.
- Be sure to keep the blowtorch moving in a circular motion to prevent the sugar from burning.
- Serve once the sugar has cooled and is hard like candy.