Emeril's Fried Chicken
- Servings: 4
- Oil, for frying
- 1 large fryer, cut into 8 pieces, about 3 1/2 pounds
- Cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- Essence, recipe follows
- Black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet.
- Season the chicken with salt and cayenne. Whisk the eggs with 2 tablespoons of the milk. Season the beaten eggs and 3 cups of the flour with Essence.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour, coating each piece completely. Dip the chicken in the egg wash, coating completely and letting the excess drip off. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, coating the chicken completely.
- Gently lay half of the chicken in the hot oil, skin side down. Fry the chicken for 6 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue to cook for 6 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and the chicken is completely cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season the chicken with Essence. Continue frying the remaining chicken.
- Carefully pour off the oil, leaving about 1/2 cup of the oil remaining in the pan, leaving the chicken debris in the pan.
- Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup of the flour and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in the remaining milk. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook the gravy for 6 to 8 minutes. If the gravy is too thick add a little water to thin the gravy.
- Serve the chicken and gravy with mashed potatoes.