Essential EatingWell Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Cooking Time: 45 to 55 seconds
- Servings: 16
- 1. 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
- 2. 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3. 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4. 3/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 5. 1/3 cup whole flaxseeds, ground (see Ingredient notes)
- 6. 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 7. 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 8. 1 teaspoon salt
- 9. 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 10. 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 11. 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12. 1/4 cup rice bran oil or canola oil (see Ingredient notes)
- 13. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 14. 1/2 cup hot water
- 15. 1/2 cup prune puree (see Tip), prune pie filling or Sunsweet Lighter Bake
- 16. 4 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- 17. Confectioner's sugar for dusting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray and dust with flour (or use cooking spray with flour).
- 2. Spread nuts in a small baking pan and bake until golden and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- 3. Whisk flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, ground flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Mix hot water and prune puree (or pie filling or Lighter Bake) in a measuring cup; add to the batter and whisk until incorporated. Fold in chocolate and the nuts with a rubber spatula. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- 4. Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn out onto the rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.