Essie's Fruit Pudding
- Cooking Time: 45 to 50 minutes
- Servings: 9
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 to 2 cups fruit fresh or canned (sour cherries, blueberries, peaches and pears are just some of the fruits we have made this with.)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the beaten egg.
- Combine the dry ingredients, flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add to the creamed ingredients.
- Stir in 1/2 cup milk.
- Pour this batter into a 8x8 inch greased pan.
- Put the fruit on top of the batter.
- 1/4 cup sugar or more if the fruit is tart.
- Pour 1 cup orange juice on top of all, do not mix in.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
This was my husband's grandmothers recipe. I have never found another recipe quite like it. It was originally made with sour cherries but we have found it to be great with many different fruits. The bottom of this gets like a pudding which is why I guess it has its name. This dessert is good warm or cold.